Nextpoint is a social enterprise whose primary agenda is to influence the accessibility of education and careers for people who face barriers relating to social mobility and difficulties in learning.
Founded in 2007 by Leon Brown, the company has been responsible for supporting the development of skills and careers through its inhouse programmes and collaboration with industry partners. Its activities seek to deliver positive influence through:
- Direct guidance and training support for individuals seeking to access technology focused careers.
- Indirect support for individuals through distribution of knowledge via partner publication channels.
- Research and development in the field of education delivery and engagement.
- Encouraging the embracement of learning innovations within education establishements and businesses.
The company has worked with international publishers and training organisations to create, distribute and deliver knowledge through content and training programmes that have helped people to develop skills and career awareness to become more employable for the benefit of employers. The company has also worked with schools, colleges and universities to provide insights on career opportunities and the skills required to access them.
In addition to working with its partners, Nextpoint has provided direct support to individuals for progressing their education and access to careers. Achievements include:
- People at risk of failing GCSE maths consistently gaining grade C and above.
- Preparing future teachers for the QTS numeracy test.
- Higher education students at risk of failing progressing to graduate with good grades, including distinction at masters degree level.
- Progression of students to industry and PhD research careers.
In 2015, the company's research and development work for innovation in education gained recognition through the North West Coolest Techie award.